Introduction


Hey. I'm amazed you've stopped to take a peak! I'm sorry to say that my blog is full of negative, atrociously positive, philosophical, or otherwise stupid posts concerning my thoughts, feelings, and every day life. But what the hell! If you think it's great, then I think you're great. Got it?

Aug 27, 2011

The News Anchor Lady

Thursday morning was an interesting one, but only because I was in the mood to believe it was an interesting one. Not to mention that Thursday was an interesting DAY.

I woke to the sound of my radio. I had forgotten to turn it to the beep because I was too tired to get up the night before. My radio was loud and scratchy and filled with monotonous voices, including one lady's who droned about a girl being shot by her brother's BBgun. Now, any other time, I would have been troubled by the violent act, but it wasn't exactly the information that bothered me. It was the over all picture of The News. Put yourself in my shoes for a moment and think. I am a contemplative girl whose thoughts are scattered and opinions are open but not swayed by other's who are close-minded. Now, pretend as though you heard this.

What I heard, was a news story reaching out to someone and asking for pity. As Mr. Beeson puts it, "Artificially uplifting someone" because they're aware it hasn't happened to them. What do you say to that? Mr. Beeson is my Honors English teacher, and when I brought this point up in class, it fit perfectly with the quote of the day from Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

"We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?"

I was bothered by the question that arose in my head that morning and expressed it to the class during discussion time. Do people like to listen to bad news because they take delight in it? Do they feel as though there's nothing else to listen to? Is good news boring? Does taking pity in someone or something really help you get through life? If so, how would you change that?

I understand it's important to know about the world and politics and the country, but what I want to know is why, in our little state, we have to know about every little car accident and every little killing. Why do we have to know a store we've never heard of before was robbed the night before and the thief wasn't caught? Of course, we don't want to hear about a boys' choir singing at church. No, we want bad news that keeps us enthralled and on our toes, but why? Has anyone ever asked themselves that? WHY?

I don't know why. All I know is that I don't watch the news for that reason, and I wonder why other people don't do this. Maybe it goes back to the quote Guy Montag tells Mildred when he finds the book. Maybe it means that people aren't bothered as often as they should be. They're oblivious. They go on through life without even a twitch of their head because they're so absorbed in doing everything society does, or they're completely in their own little world. Even I am like that, but not to such an extent that it begins to become a problem for me. Instead of listening to my music, I met an awesome girl on the bus ride home, and all I talked about with her was everything that came to mind.

How many people can do that? Look at yourselves and ask that question, and then try to make a change. Change is constant in this world, and it's not bad. We just got to get used to it, and we got to accept it. We are habitual people, and we don't have to be. :)

What say you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I'm sure you all want to keep reading about my awesome life.