Introduction


Hey. I'm amazed you've stopped to take a peak! I'm sorry to say that my blog is full of negative, atrociously positive, philosophical, or otherwise stupid posts concerning my thoughts, feelings, and every day life. But what the hell! If you think it's great, then I think you're great. Got it?

Mar 31, 2011

Looking Back and Rethinking

I went to a writer's conference at school today, during last period which was geography. Yes, I missed a test, but I'll do it soon. It's not like I can't take it tomorrow during cavetime. :P Anyway, Jessica Day George came, author of Dragon Slippers and a few other books. Basically she told us her adventure of becoming an author and what it took for her to do it. She also made it clear to us that in order to write a good book, you need to write about what you love. You can't just do something depressing if you aren't a depressing person. Neither can you write something long and complicated when you're an easy person. All you really need to do is look at what you like to do, what you like to read, what you like to write about, and incorporate all of it into a story that you, as a reader, would like to read and write about. You can't write anything unless you enjoy writing it. That's my simple solution.

So. What should I do about my supposed "Novel" I've been trying to write for a year? Wvern's Destruction is basically about a world-wide war threatening genocide on several different races. Particularly humans. The problem for me is, usually for a first draft, it shouldn't take a year to write it. Granted, I've been busy and distracted, but if I really love writing, then why can't I work hard at this? I love the fantasy and sci-fi, like Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. I love to think about elves and dwarves. The problem is, I've already played out this story with online friends, so why repeat it? I'm getting tired of it, per se. So I want to think of a different story that I'll really love, and try again.

First, I need to figure out what it is I really do like to do. Jessica Day George liked knitting and dragons and Norwegian Languages. She found a great way to incorporate all of that into her books. Now I just need to figure it out for myself, to make my story unique.

I like romances, but not when I get too much of it at one time, otherwise I get really really sick of it. I like the small romances, something like a kiss and a certain liking for someone. I like it when they're equal and can help each other through something like a real relationship would, and sometimes...I like it when the guy saves the girl and they live happily ever after. I love big dogs. Particularly Golden Retrievers and German Shepherds. I like a sci-fi fantasy setting, or something in the future with a cool girl. I hate it when the girls are wimpy, but I don't want the girl to be too cool, because I need room for a main guy. I also don't like it when it's in a girl's perspective and I'm a girl author. It's just...yeah. [Not] All female authors make their lead character female, and I just want to be different. I've always been fascinated with history, particularly World Wars and World Civilizations. I love Geography too, so I'm sort of like a social studies nerd. I like grapes. I don't know how that could work with a novel, but sure, why not?

I love my cousin and I love being with her, and a long time ago, my cousin and I came up with a little story, mostly inside jokes, between us. She asked me, one day, about how it would be like if we changed up those characters and actually put them into a real, legit story instead of our crazy "realistic" story. So we began brainstorming, and we came up with an idea that we really liked. It was a futuristic setting about a country lost in it's own civil war. I began to write about it, because I thought it was so cool. But after nine chapters I began to slow down and lose interest in it, because the way I was thinking felt stupid to me. So I gave up, and yes, it hurt both of us.

I think you know where this is going. I want to start it again, and add some of my own likings to it to make it exciting and popular. If I'll like it, and if my cousin will like it (Which, for the record, she's not a reading person, so that's a big score) and if my dad likes it, then I'm sure I'm on the right track. That's what I want to do. To be frank, I don't know about Wvern's Destruction. I put a lot into it, but I was just never certain. I mean, I created a huge country for Geography and stuff, and I put meaning and value of that country into my story, and I thought I was doing really good, but I didn't know how to do the point of views, and there were just too many characters, and their names were messed, and it's modern but I tried to make it medieval fantasy, and it just didn't work. I'll probably pick it up again later in life, but for now, I want to start fresh and try again. I'm still not sure if using a plot outline will work, or if I should just wing it, because neither proved to help me in the past, so I'm uncertain of how to start it and see what will happen. I think I need another sleepover with my cousin. ;)

Anyway, that's my supposed goal now. Along with writing short stories, but I don't think I'll get my 36 Plot Line resolution completed this year. It is a lot of short stories, and a lot of time. So I think I'll just keep reading whatever I can and begin this new Idea.

2 comments:

Leave me a message! I'm sure you all want to keep reading about my awesome life.